Only albino fur seal in zoo takes to the water
Published: 20 Jul 12 15:13 CET | Print version
The world’s only albino fur seal in captivity took his first bow in public at a German zoo on Friday, complete with pink nose and flippers.
“The keepers noticed as soon as they went in to see the baby,” Frank Brandstätter, Dortmund Zoo director told The Local.
“At the moment he seems completely healthy, but we will be keeping a careful eye on him as he could develop health problems. Albinism is extremely rare and can be associated with health difficulties,” he said.
Brandstätter said research had dug up only one other albino seal that had been born in captivity about 20 years ago, but it had died while only a few days old.
The mother fur seal Harimee gave birth to the albino pup on May 26, but they were kept away from public view while the baby grew a little and they bonded.
Now Brandstätter said zoo visitors would be asked to vote on a name from a shortlist over the next two weeks. They will be asked to choose between Chilo, Albus, Claro, Rubio and Branco, he said.
- Bertelsmann Entrepreneurs Program »
- Design Engineer - Turbomachinery »
- Design Engineer Aerospace in Toulouse »
- Design Feasibility Engineer / Craftsmanship Engineer (m/f) »
- HUMAN RESOURCES Graduate Trainee Program BEYOND BORDERS »
- Lead Engineer - Combustion Engineering »